Icons of Holy Virgin
Mosaic Workshop / Icons of Holy Virgin
Kasperovskaya Prsv icon. Virgin
In Russia, the icon at the end of XVI century, was brought to the Serbs, who came from Transylvania, at the invitation of the Russian government. His ancestor, in the middle of the XVIII century, settled in the county Olviopolskom Kherson province.
The icon was hereditary, while in 1809 it did not become a landowner, the wife of Captain, Juliana Ionovna Kasperova, living on his estate Kasperovo (now Kizomys, Belozersky district, Kherson region). Icon had already significantly deteriorated.
In February 1840 Kasperova night praying with tears before Kasperovoy icon of the Mother of God to help her in her plight. Kasperova suddenly saw that the icon of the Mother of God and the face refreshed brightened.
Vera Burleeva landed noblewoman who lived in a neighboring village at the same time could not cure paralysis of the left arm. In the spring of 1840 in a dream she heard the voice of the Virgin Mary, sending her to the village to pray Kasperovo icon. Burleevu Kasperovyh brought into the house, where, after prayer, she recovered.
In the summer of 1843 cases were still three outstanding healing. After praying before the image of Our Lady of recovered Shumyakov Ivan, 13-year-old peasant boy from the city of Kherson, with seizures epilepsy. Recovered Ochakovskaya Philistine Maria funny that they brought into the house Kasperovoy stricken with paralysis. Funny before treatment did not own half of his body and move on their own was not able to. After the prayer before the image of Our Lady, and the anointing oil from the lamps back sanity Novoivanovskoye peasant Paraskovja Semipudovoy, which has long been obsessed.
In late January 1844 the icon is transferred to a village temple.
Since then, the icon of Our Lady of Kasperovoy steel flow of healing, and people recognized it as miraculous. In 1846, the year collected on this Commission officially recognized the validity of all miracles and Kasperovoy icon pilgrims flocked from Kherson, Ochakov, Odessa, Nikolayev and other places.
Since 1852 at the request of residents of Kherson each year on the feast of the Assumption Kasperovskaya icon of Our Lady began to bring in the city's cathedral.
During the Crimean War, in April 1854, during the siege of Odessa Franco-British fleet citizens of Odessa sent a deputation to the bishop with a letter to Innocent which read: "In the present circumstances, when our city is in oblezhanii from enemies, we deal with a humble request your Eminence to obtain for permission to bring Kasperovskaya icon of Our Lady of the cathedral church for the duration of our blockade of the city. wholeheartedly believe in the wonderful care of Our Lady, and we trust that the presence of Her Face in our city will be invincible bulwark against enemy attacks and the most reliable guarantee of our salvation.
Please citizens of Odessa was granted, and August 6, 1854 the icon in procession from the village Kasperovki brought to the cathedral city of Odessa, where it remained until May 20, 1856.
September 26, 1855 at Odessa harbor came the enemy's fleet of 120 pennants. Daily in these difficult days Christians together with Saint Innocent prayed before the miraculous way of saving the city. One can only imagine the state of the citizens, for a week under the muzzles of lethal weapons squadron, however, all wondered what prevents the enemy to attack virtually defenseless city.
On the eve of October 1, the area in front of the cathedral gathered almost all the population of Odessa, were prayers before Kasperovskaya miraculously, with the blessing of the lord, began to read the penitential canon - all asked the Queen of Heaven spare the city. On the day of the Protection of the Mother of God of the sea down a thick, almost impenetrable fog. Enemy ships in the fog off course and could not determine the correct direction of prospective strike. Another day - and the fleet suddenly gone.
Some thought this deliverance by accident, - the enemy of ignorance of our available forces and the fear of fire coastal batteries. But believers Odessa residents in those days, young and old thanked the Virgin. It was truly omophorion outstretched these days over the city, and saved him from certain death. This day was particularly memorable for the citizens of Odessa, on the same day, the feast of the Holy Virgin, and set one of the days Kasperovskaya honor of Our Lady.
Since 1918, the miraculous image was in the Holy Transfiguration Cathedral constant. In 1936, after the destruction of the cathedral Kasperovskaya icon moved to the Cathedral of the Assumption, who later became a cathedral. The miraculous image of the Blessed Virgin Kasperovskaya icon is in it now.
Celebrating 29 June (12) July 1 (14) of October and Wednesday of Bright Week.
Pochaev Icon Prsv. Virgin
Revered ancient miraculous icon of the Mother of God Pochaevskaya stored Pochayiv Monastery in western Ukraine in the village Pochaiv Ternopil region. It belongs to the iconographical type of emotion. According to legend, it was presented monks noblewoman Anna Goiskoye, which in 1559 received it as a gift from a passing Pochaev Metropolitan Neophyte, the future Patriarch of Constantinople.
After some time, took the icon from the Monastery of the heir of Anna Goiskoye Andrew Lutheran Firlej. The image was with him for about 20 years and in 1644 returned to the monastery. Tradition relates to the return of the story of the wife of Andrei became possessed woman and, on the advice of Job Pochaev to be healed icon returned to the monastery.
Around 1721 the monastery with the icon was acquired Uniates. In 1773, the faces of baby Jesus and Mary were crowned sent by Pope Clement XIV two crowns of gold. In 1831, the monastery and the icon was returned to Orthodox monastery received the status of Lavra.
At present, the icon is in the Assumption Cathedral Pochaev Monastery daily before it is read the Akathist.
Miracles associated with Pochaev icon
Ridding Pochayiv laurels from the Turkish siege 20-23 July 1675. The most famous miracle attributed to the icon: July 23 morning sunrise Tatars held last advice to storm the monastery, the abbot also ordered to sing the Akathist Lady. From the first words of "Thee the Champion Leader" on the temple itself was suddenly Virgin Mary ... Monk Job staying near the Mother of God, bowing to her and praying for the protection of the monastery. Tatars took the heavenly host of a ghost in turmoil started shooting at the Blessed Virgin and St. Job, but the arrows to go back and hurt those who shoot. Horror gripped the enemy. In the stampede, not looking her, they killed each other. Defenders monastery rushed after them and captured many prisoners.
Wonders of the period capture the laurels Uniates
In the period of the Uniate Pochaev Monastery (1721-1832 years) from the icon testified, according to the Russian Orthodox Church, 539 miracles. Marked the return of the Orthodox Monastery is said to have healed a blind girl Anna Akimchukovoy. In memory of this event is set weekly, on Saturdays, reading cathedral litany before the miraculous icon.
The celebration takes place on 23 July (5) August 8 (21) September, and Friday of Bright Week.
Iberian icon of the Blessed. Virgin
Iberian icon of the Mother of God, or the concierge Vratarnitsa (Greek Παναγία Πορταΐτισσα, Portaitissa) - Orthodox icon of the Virgin Mary and Child, is revered as a miraculous, belongs to the type of icon painting Hodegetria. The original is in the Iberian monastery on Mount Athos in Greece, according to the Orthodox tradition it was written by St. Luke.
The legend about finding icons
In the IX century, during the reign of Emperor Theophilus in order to save the icon of the iconoclastic image was lowered into the sea, women living near the city of Nicaea. After two centuries the monks Georgian Iberian monastery on Mount Athos in the sea saw the icon, supported by a pillar of fire. Reverend Gabriel Holy Mountain, in a dream instructed by Virgin, went walking on the water and brought the icon to kafolikon, but in the morning it was discovered over the gate of the monastery. Tradition says that was repeated several times, so the icon left at the gate and called Vratarnitsey or porter, and on behalf of the monastery - the Iberian monastery - it was named the Boys. Originally, the icon was outside, in Kyoto directly above the entrance, but later built a special small church inside the monastery, to the left of the gate, where she resides today.
In the XVI century, the icon was decorated with a chased silver setting of Georgian artists. Salary leaves open only the faces of the Virgin and Christ Child.
During the celebration:
12 (25) of February and Tuesday of Bright Week - the acquisition of the image of Mount Athos;
13 (26) Oct-transfer in 1648 in Moscow, the icon list, sent to Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich from Athos.
Vladimir Icon of the Blessed. Virgin
Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God (originally Vyshgorodska) - one of the most revered relics of the Russian Orthodox Church, is considered miraculous. Iconographically Vladimir Icon of the type Eleousa (Tenderness). The baby fell down her cheek to cheek Mother. Icon conveys the full tenderness communication Mother and Child. Mary anticipates the suffering of the Son in His earthly journey.
A distinctive feature of the Vladimir Icon of the other icons like Affection: Christ Child left leg bent so that the sole of the foot is visible, "heel."
According to Church tradition, it is one of the icons painted St. St. Luke. In V. it was brought from Jerusalem to Constantinople. Brought it to Russia from Byzantium in the early XII century (about 1131) as a gift to Yuri Dolgoruky, the Patriarch of Constantinople Luke Hrisoverga. Initially, the Vladimir Icon of the Theotokos was in the women's monastery Vyshgorod near Kiev. Son of Prince Andrew Bogolyubsky, distinguished piety, away to Rostov took Vyshgorodsky icon of Our Lady with them. Mother was on the way to the prince in a dream and ordered to put an icon in Vladimir. It was in 1158
Prince created the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, and suffered in his icon, adorning it with gold, silver and precious stones. Since that time the icon was named Vladimir. In the XV century. Vladimir Icon was moved to Moscow, the Assumption Cathedral.
During the invasion of Tamerlane under Basil I in 1395, revered icon was transferred to Moscow to protect the city from invaders. In place of "Candlemas" (meeting) Muscovites Vladimir Icon was founded Candlemas Monastery. The fact that Tamerlane's troops for no reason turned from Yelets back, before reaching Moscow, was seen as the intercession of the Virgin.
Two more miraculous escape from the invaders took place in 1451 (invasion Nogai prince Mazovia) and in 1480 (standing on the Ugra river).
In 1918 he withdrew from the icon of the Assumption Cathedral of the restoration, and in 1926 transferred to the State Historical Museum. In 1930 she was transferred to the State Tretyakov Gallery. Since September 1999, is located in the church-museum of St. Nicholas in Tolmachev at the State Tretyakov Gallery.
The celebration of the icon:
May 21 (June 3) - getting rid of Mahmet Giray;
June 23 (July 6) - getting rid of Ahmad;
August 26 (September 8) - meet the icon to Moscow and getting rid of Tamerlane.
Don icon of the Blessed. Virgin
Don Theotokos - an icon of the Virgin with the Christ Child in her arms, made in the iconographic harass Eleousa. The Russian church icon venerated miraculous.
According to legend (according to the preface to the book deposit Donskoy monastery from 1692), was presented to the Don Cossacks Moscow Prince Dmitry Donskoy before Kulikovo battle with Khan Mamai in 1380, the day before the Battle of the icon were rows of soldiers for the encouragement and welfare against the enemy. After the victory of the icon was presented as a gift to the Cossacks to the Grand Duke, who brought her to Moscow and placed in the Assumption, and then in the Annunciation Cathedral. In memory of the victory named it Don.
Before Don icon of July 3, 1552 in front of the Kazan campaign prayed Ivan the Terrible and took it with him in the campaign.
In 1591, during the reign of Feodor Ivanovich, when the Crimean Prince Nurydan his brother Moore Giray approaches to Moscow and settled near it, the Sparrow Hills, the king wrote a prayer for help to the Virgin Protectress of Christians. After the procession with the Don icon around the city he put it in his field church and before the battle the whole night spent in prayer. The day Tatars attacked the Russian, but suddenly, terrified by an unseen force, fled and left on the battlefield, many dead and all their host. In gratitude to the heavenly Intercessor here and founded a monastery called the Don, and it was given the Don icon.
The celebration in honor of accomplished August 19 (September 1), the day of victory.
Tikhvin Icon of the Blessed. Virgin
Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God - the icon of the Mother of God, venerated in the Russian Orthodox Church of the miraculous. Written, according to tradition, sv.evangelistom Luke. Icon exists in several lists with icons, in different cities. It was, in fact, a subtype of iconographic image Protectress ('The Guide'), for example, lists the Saviour in the Temple of the Haymarket, Afanasyevsky monastery in Mologa.
In the manuscript "Tales of the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God", the earliest of which date from abroad XV-XVI centuries., Its appearance in the Novgorod limit applies to 1383 "Radiant marching through the air" from Constantinople shortly before its capture by the Turks, from one village to another, "angels invisibly wearable" (as in the story), the icon is the locals, until they reached the river Tikhvinka.
According to the "Legend", the icon appeared seven times in front of witnesses: first, on Lake Ladoga, in churchyards Smolkovo River Oyat in Vymochenitsah, then "on Kozhele cookies on the Hill", then - on the hill above the river Tikhvinka. Flocked to the mountain a lot of people. The priests came in procession and with the people of the Virgin Mary prayed to her icon descended to them. And icon gone heights into the arms of the priests. All reverently kissed the icon and on the same day began to build the temple. But on the night icon was transferred on the other side of the river, a mile from the two mountains. Together with the icon was moved there and started the temple, and all the material prepared for the church, and even the chips - as if the place itself was moved first appearance. The temple was completed, and the icon placed in him.
From the icon there is a lot of miracles. With one of them involves the release of the Tikhvin Monastery of Our Lady of the Assumption of the Swedish invasion in 1613 led by General De la Gardie. Novice Martinianu Virgin was led by Barlaam Hutynsky, Zosima of Solovki and Nicholas pleaser. "Tell the governor and all the people," - said Chudovtorets - "Mother of God, the total molebnitsa kind of Christian begged his Son, Christ our God to save you from the enemies, and you will see the mercy of God and the victory." Icon was enclosed in a night vision around the monastery. Spiritual eclipse struck Swedes to take flight once it seemed that they are surrounded by a myriad army. Subsequently, there was founded Assumption Monastery.
After the closure of the monastery in 1920, the icon was an exhibit of local history museum. Until 1941, the Tikhvin icon was in the museum. During the occupation of Tikhvin in November 1941, the icon was taken out of the cathedral by the Germans and sent to Pskov, where the transferred Pskov spiritual mission. There she was two years and its value as an important weekly on Sundays were given to Trinity Cathedral for worship. Then he brought it in the spring of 1944 in Riga, Libau, Jablonec, the American occupation zone in Germany.
As a result of a long journey in 1950, the miraculous image was taken at the Holy Trinity Cathedral in Chicago, where the abbot and the keeper of the icon was first Archbishop John Rigas (Garklavs) and then his stepson Archpriest Sergy (Garklavs), dedicated his life to the preservation of the icon . According to the will of the Archbishop, the return of the icon to Russia was to take place only when the Tikhvin Monastery reborn.
In 1995, the monastery was transferred to the Church of the Assumption Cathedral rebuilt and consecrated.
In 2004, the icon was solemnly returned to its historic place in Tikhvin Assumption Monastery Marian.
The celebration takes place the icon on June 26 (July 9).
Igorevskaya icon of the Blessed. Virgin
Igorevskaya Theotokos - an icon of the Virgin, venerated miraculous. This icon of the Virgin was named in honor of the martyr, the Grand Prince of Kiev Igor Olgovich, praying before the icon in the very last moments of life. Celebration of the icon - the day of the relics of Igor in 1150 from Kiev Chernigov (June 5 old style).
Iconographic type - "Tenderness". There are a number of lists with icons. Icon "Our Lady of Tenderness Igorevskaya with Deesis and selected saints" refers to the end of the XIV - XV centuries beginning.
History icon of the Virgin is associated with the memory of the holy Great Prince Igor of the genus Olegoviches in baptism George, monk Gabriel, who was killed in Kiev in 1147 (commemorated on June 18 and October 2, new style). Holy Prince involved against his will at the center of internecine warfare, became the innocent victim of hate Kiev to his elder brother - Grand Prince Vsevolod. After receiving death in the reign of Vsevolod Kyiv city, Prince Igor owned it only two weeks since the Kiev boyars immediately called enemies of Olegoviches Mstislavich with the army.
Near Kiev was a battle between the forces of Prince Igor and Izyaslav Mstislavovitch. Kiev troops in the heat of battle betrayed Igor and joined the Izyaslav. Igor II of Kiev four days hiding in the marshes near Kiev. There, he was captured and brought to Kiev and put into a chop - cold log cabin with no windows and doors (to release the prisoner, had him out of there, "to cut down»).
In Prince Poruba suffering ill. Thinking that he would die, Duke allowed opponents "cut" him from prison and mow the schema in the Kiev Monastery of Theodore. But the prince has recovered and, left the monastery monk, spent time in tears and prayer.
But less than a year, as rebellious mob decided to deal with the prince-monk. Metropolitan and clergy tried to reason and stop Kiev. Who ruled in Kiev Izyaslav Mstislavich and especially his brother Prince Vladimir tried to prevent the senseless bloodshed and save the holy martyr, but they themselves were threatened by violent crowds.
The rebels broke into the church during the Divine Liturgy, caught praying before the icon of Our Lady of Igor and dragged him to the massacre. Thus died the innocent martyr, Saint Prince Igor. The icon of the Virgin Mary, to which the saint prayed before a horrible death, has since become known as Igorevskaya.
Soon Igorevskaya icon of the Virgin was venerated as miraculous and was placed near the royal doors in the aisle of St. John the Theologian in the Dormition Cathedral of the Kiev-Pechersk Lavra. During the occupation of Kiev in 1941, the icon had disappeared. List icon in the collection of the State Russian Museum.
The celebration takes place 5 (18) in June.
To be continued ... i> strong>
21.09.2011 Fishing save ancient mosaics Biologists have used the original method of ... Read more...